Tuesday 4 March 2014

David- Cultural Services Apprentice

Hi, my name is David and I'm currently working as an apprentice in Cultural Services Department of Tameside Council. I’m studying a Level 2 NVQ in Business Administration. My role involves supporting the organisation and delivery of events and arts engagement projects. There is also a degree of general administration such as printing, copying and answering phone calls. I really enjoy the variety of the role due to the tasks and challenges it presents on a daily basis. The role also provides me with the opportunity to work with many different people throughout the Borough such as artists and community groups which I really enjoy.

My working week can involve a range of out of hours working including evenings and weekends over the year as the event programme runs. I can often be working on theatre productions or arts engagement activities many of which need different skills sets. For example I can be working front of house on the annual civic pantomime, out in a park assisting with cinema, theatre or wood craft activities or serving breakfast to veterans at Armed Forces Day. Most recently I have been very actively involved in the Tameside Big Poppy Plant.

After finishing my A Levels at college I decided not go to university and try a more vocational route to employment. I think apprenticeship schemes work really well and would recommend them to anyone as you can have direct experience of the workplace and be financially stable. The qualifications you obtain at the end of your apprenticeship are invaluable and really boost your CV.

The best part of being an apprentice is the skills and knowledge that you gain from being in a working environment which you would perhaps not gain in a more traditional education route.

I thoroughly enjoy working for cultural services and look forward to progressing within the department . I  am aware that what I  am learning here will provide me with key life skills.

David’s Manager said: “David is a highly valued member of the team for Cultural Services; he has a range of skills and experience, but plays a strong and confident role within the team. David has joined the team in a time of substantial change and is critical to the success of the team, he is not afraid to tackle a full range of new challenges and also identifies areas which he can support the work of the department prior to being asked.  David is a real asset to Cultural Services “.

No comments:

Post a Comment